Carbon Monoxide Detector Installation in Ogden, UT
Do you have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector in your home? If so, have you checked the batteries lately? Having a working carbon monoxide detector is important for the safety of you and your family.
The detectors are designed to sound an alarm if they sense a dangerous amount of CO in the air. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. Unlike smoke, it does not give any warning when it becomes dangerous.
If you have a gas-burning furnace or heating system, you need to install a carbon monoxide detector. Contact Mountain Air today so we can help!
Types of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
There are three types of CO detectors on the market.
The simplest and cheapest CO detector is a battery-operated one. Most consumers would be surprised to know that carbon monoxide detectors don’t have an infinite life span. The sensors wear out every five to seven years and usually warn you by repeatedly sounding an alarm when they need to be replaced.
Remember to test your carbon monoxide detector once a month to ensure it is working correctly.
Installation of Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide mixes with warm air, which rises, so we install CO detectors on ceilings. If you are only installing one CO detector, we suggest placing it near the sleeping area so you can hear the alarm if it sounds at night.
We recommend installing at least one detector on each floor and in every bedroom of your home. Carbon monoxide is not something to take lightly and the better prepared you are, the safer your home will be.
Carbon Monoxide and Furnace Maintenance
We install at least two carbon monoxide detectors with every gas furnace installation. We would not recommend installing a gas furnace without these safety devices. We want to make sure our clients are safe at all times.
It’s also important to have your furnace regularly maintained to ensure your heating system is not leaking carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless; these safety devices could save your life.
Call Mountain Air today at (801) 416-2215 to ask about carbon monoxide detector installation or gas furnace installation or maintenance.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do when a carbon monoxide detector goes off?
If you notice signs of poisoning in yourself or others, evacuate your home and call 911. If not, you should still evacuate and stay elsewhere until your home can be tested by the appropriate entity, such as the fire department. If you absolutely cannot leave, ventilation should be an immediate priority; open windows, run fans, and turn off anything that might be a source of the leak.
What can cause a carbon monoxide leak?
Carbon monoxide can be produced anywhere fuel burns in your home. That means all the obvious sources of combustion in your home can be a source of a leak: Non-electric furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, water heaters, space heaters, grills, dryers, etc. All of these can all produce carbon monoxide, which can build up in your home to dangerous concentrations without adequate ventilation.