We are open and available to help! Learn more about our Zero Contact Visit.
Up to $2,000 in Rebates!
We’re happy to offer promotions and special offers!
Current Promotions

Is Your Home’s Air Quality Making You Sick?

Posted On: November 5, 2015

The fresh air of the Beehive State is one of its finest benefits. However, this pure natural resource can become corrupted in a residential home by various factors and cause harm—minor or severe—to the owner and his family. Still, there are ways to prevent this situation. Here is a quick rundown on the most important of these causes and how you can prevent or eliminate them:

Dry air – Relatively unknown and usually unnoticed, dry or low humidity air can be a major contributor to headaches, nausea, and dizziness in the occupants of a home. In addition, dry air conditions can exacerbate allergies and other sinus conditions. The addition of an inline humidifier is a simple, affordable and very effective way to mitigate this situation. Whole-house humidifiers are also beneficial to the overall structure of a home as they keep the wood and other construction materials from warping and or contracting.

Moist air – Conversely, moist air can allow the growth of mold, dust mites, and fungus. All of these contaminants can contribute to increased allergy sensitivity and promote sickness. A whole-house dehumidifier is the best option for eliminating this problem when it comes to central HVAC systems. Separate, stand-alone dehumidifying systems are also available but not nearly as effective as the inline ones.

Carbon monoxide – By far, the most dangerous adulterants that can be added to any home’s air supply is the invisible and odorless gas known carbon monoxide (CO). Carbon monoxide is a natural byproduct of the combustion in your furnace. Normally, it is vented to the outside through a separate duct system. Sometimes, however, this ductwork can be compromised and allow the gas to enter the living space. A thorough inspection by a licensed HVAC technician should be performed biannually to eliminate this problem. You can also have one of our NATE-certified technicians install a carbon monoxide detector to alarm you if CO is detected in your home.

Radon – Also undetectable by normal human senses. Radon can infiltrate a home—usually through the walls of the basement—and cause headaches, nausea and insomnia. It is readily detectable by gas-specific detectors and can be easily flushed out of a home by the use of a whole house fans or even area-specific ones.

Improve Your Air Quality With Mountain Air!

Air quality is a major factor when trying to control the comfort of your Ogden, Utah home. For further information on improving the air quality in your home, contact the experts at Mountain Air Conditioning & Heating directly at (801) 416-2215(801) 416-2215.